Our Core Values
What are SHBC's Core Values?
Recognizing that without love all we do is meaningless, we the people of Southern Hills Baptist Church hereby commit to love God and others as He has commanded us in all we say and do.
Therefore the love of God compels us to value:
- Being GOD-CENTERED; reflected by our constant dependance upon God, the leadership of the Holy Spirit, and our commitment to do what Jesus would do. (Colossians 3:17)
- WORSHIP as a congregation and as individuals using a variety of expressions to honor God. (Psalm 150)
- Being GRACE-ORIENTED; accepting all persons, inviting everyone and anyone to "come as they are" and freely giving God's grace and forgiveness in Christ and join together in extending His grace to others. (Ephesians 4:32)
- Being BIBLE-BASED in every facet of our church life including preaching, teaching, and counseling, while maintaining culturally relevant applications for living.
- PRAYER; believing that prayer changes lives and changes the world. (John 15:7)
- WARM FELLOWSHIP; encouraging all people by seeking to meet the needs of families and individuals, inviting them into an authentic, intimate community of believers (Acts 2:41, 46-47)
- Being OUTWARD-FOCUSED; committed to the Great Commission and driven by the desire to see the lost saved, the inactive reclaimed, and the poor and disenfranchised lifted up, while providing challenge, inspiration, training, and opportunities for accomplishing this purpose. (Matthew 28:17-20)
- Developing COMMITTED CHRISTIANS; growing effective disciples who are progressing toward spiritual maturity reflected in Christ-like lifestyles characterized by integrity, faithful stewardship, and worldwide concern. (2 Timothy 2:15)
- SERVANT ATTITUDES evidenced through corporate and personal ministries carried out by members serving in His name both in and outside the church. (2 Corinthians 4:5)
- UNITY AND TEAMWORK as we seek to discover, develop, and utilize the many spiritual gifts God has given our fellowship to enable innovation, creativity, and excellence in the work God had given us. (Romans 12:4-5)
Statement of Faith
Three things are vital to us in understanding our belief…
- in essential beliefs we have UNITY
- in non-essential beliefs we have LIBERTY
- in all our beliefs we have CHARITY